Monday, October 19, 2009

B-R-R-R-R! MY SECOND WEEK IN CHILLY!


Family, friends. Admirers, countrymen!
Wow. Holy shrapnel. It´s only my second week and I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I only have like 20 minutes left on the computer. Okay. First of all, shout outs to SBLOOOOOOD! Soon to be Mrs. SBLOOD! Congrats on the engagement! I wish I could be there. The two of you are amazing and I wish you so much happiness!!! YAYAYAYA. The temple is honestly the single best place on earth. Enjoy it! Second, thanks to Tucker, Noah, Mary Evans, my mom, dad, and james for the dearelders and letters. Everyone else, I´m crying repentance to you! REPENT!!! Especially HAL and MIKEY (not to name any names or anything) (and send me a dear elder because I don´t have your addresses). People, dearelder is the best way to reach me. I promise I´ll try to write back, but right now I´m sort of focused on the eternal salvation of the souls of the people of Camino Real....so....I´ll try. 
This weeks theme was rejection...hard core rejection and the most hilarious contacts EVER! We are expected to make 20 contacts every day where we walk up to random people and bear our testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. This week we had a guy so drunk he couldn´t stand up or talk, one guy with absolutely NO teeth (SIN DIENTES for all you Spain peeps), one guy opened his door, yelled ¨son falsos¨and slammed it, one man said the book of mormon was ¨dirty¨and I was tempted to ask if he needed a new one, one guy said ¨sincerely, you are of the devil¨, and a few even ran away from us. There was one day where every single thing we did DIDN´T work! It was awesome though because while these people were scorning the truth, my heart just felt a little sad for them. Hopefully they can have to opportunity again later down the road. But, the thing I learned this week was that hat ONE moment you have with an investigator where they take one step closer to Christ is worth an entire weeks worth of exhaustion, tired feet, study, slammed doors, and insults. We had a moment like that with Victoria, her children, the bishop, and Hno. Chaipul. It was incredible. She´s working towards baptismo and we are stoked!
Cultural note. It is super difficult...near impossible to get divorced here, so the chilenos have found a solution. They just don´t get married! No one here is married but EVERYONE has children and is living together which makes the law of chastity a tad dificult to follow. One woman named Maria (she´s wanted to get baptised for a while) had a blessing in disguise when her partner hit her and left. Of course its a horrible, horrible thing abuse, but now she has a date, is changing and repenting, and moving on with her life. Another cultural note...there are Callalillies in ALL the yards here. My favorite flower EVER! (I think its a little tender mercy). Osorno is in the middle of the happy valley, but all the neighborhoods are pretty trashy....so the flowers help. Another thing...I hate the dogs here. There are more dogs than people and these things are feisty! We had to run as fast as we could the other night to escape the wrath (and probably rabies) of a little guy. Another thing, the people here speak SO fast. They do not move their lips. Everyone reading this say something as fast as you can so all your words slur together and no one can understand you....thats what I´m trying to understand every moment here, but in a different language. BRAU! The people really are so awesome though, if you can get into their houses. One more fun fact and I´ll move on to the gospel. If anyone gets called down here the number one thing they need is a sleeping bag. I wear that thing all the time in the house because our wood stove is pretty good at keeping us warm but not really. My comp loves it because I hop around to the kitchen and bathroom like a worm.
Okay, so we had zone conference this week and it was INCREDIBLE in every sense of the word. The mission is falling behind in baptisms and continued attendence so we have a mountain of work, but I know that with the Lord, we can do it. We are expected to teach 30 lessons a week and 50% of those with a member present. I don´t know how that compares to the rest of the world, but I feel like it´s a doozy! (Dad, that´s for you). We had 19 total last week and 22 this week, so we are getting there. It´s my personal goal to work up to the standards and then exceed them every week. Pray for me please! I can´t even begin to describe the kinds of experiences I´m having here. The actual relationship that I have with God is growing. It´s more real and consuming than ever. Things I do have purpose and meaning. I feel like I¨m actually helping people eternally and it´s marvelous. The ways I study and pray are 100% different than before because its REAL. The reality in which we live is that God is our Father, we are his Children on the road back to him. We came to earth to receive bodies so we could progress, but we can´t without the Spirit. There are eternal laws given to us that we disobey—this is called sin. Because we all sin, we can´t have the Spirit with us or progress. Literally, we CAN´T. But because of the infinite wisdom and mercy of Heavenly Father, He sent His son to feel and experience every single thing we have, are, and will experience so that He could stand between us and justice IF we have faith, repent, are baptised BY the proper authority, receive the Holy Ghost, and continue to have the holy ghost by our perservering until the end of our lives. HE gives us everything for nothing. It´s quite marvelous. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to spread this message of hope and mercy with these people. It´s a gift.
I love you all. Mom,Dad,mikey,ash,james,katie,and Soph. I don´t really have time to write much, but I show everyone the picture of our family. Family is the most important thing and whenever I feel discouraged or frustrated, I remember how blessed I am to have you guys. Thanks for everything. You too other family and friends, I can´t express to you how infinitely blessed I am to have you all in my life...I can´t. I love you all. Go do good things.
Love, Hermana Bourne

No comments:

Post a Comment