Monday, February 22, 2010

LOVIN' IT AT THE END OF THE EARTH!

Family and Friends,

Well, just another absolutely wonderful week down here at the bottom of the earth. First of all....CONGRATS TO BOUCHDIAL! Im still sitting here just kind of laughing to myself. You are a fabulous couple and Im sorry I can't come to the wedding...but you guys will be incredible! BUND, I just love you. Way to go!

Okay, so Punta Arenas is basically the promised land. The ward is ginormous, loves us, loves the work, and thanks to them, we had 24 lessons with members this week. WE are meeting families and having miracles happen every single day. I can't even tell you how many times this week weve been led by the hand of God to the right person at the right time in the right Spirit.

Also, ELDER SCOTT is coming to visit us in March. The Bishop announced it on Sunday and we are just DYING! Theres only like 14 missionaries down here so Im thinking of asking Elder Scott to come teach with us...he can share Ephesians 2:20 and bear his testimony about why its important to have apostles...:) But seriously, people...its all we can think about..were dying of anticipation!

Okay, funny happenings this week..I haven't written any for a little while. First, Katie, a Chilean girl walked past me and was wearing Pink Sugar. I caught a whif and almost followed this girl out of the store because she smelled just like you. Brought back good memories of me sneaking into your room to steal your perfume.

Second, We were walking and hitting doors (we call it touching doors in Spanish) when all of a sudden, we came upon this Asian man hula hooping in front of his house all alone. To stop from just bursting into laughter, I began to contact him and talk about how God has a wonderful plan for him and his family. He didnt understand too well and we somehow communicated for about five minutes...all the while hula-hooping. He didnt stop the entire time. James and Noah, youll never guess where he's from...

Third, I think the rat in our roof finally died.  It's been quiet....

Fourth, Dad, we sang your song about the lights along the shore in church. It caught me by surprise and Ill be honest, I shed a tear or two for you. Its the first time Ive really missed anyone (but don't worry, it was for like 6 seconds).

Chileanism- The broom is the only tool that the Chileans need to survive. They use it to do everything but sweep the floor. They rake with it, they clean their cars with it, they clean the walls of their house with it, they chase dogs away with it, if they forget their keys--they use it to open the door, they clean gutters,use it to hold up trees, to reach high places, to dust and clean their roofs....It really is the tool of the gods!

But seriously people, Punta Arenas is like Im in America...except I have to wear like five pairs of woolen tights and at least three shirts, a sweater, a jacket, a scarf, and a rain coat. ...We looked at our shadows lumbering down our street the other day and a certain Hagrid came to our minds...expeliarmus! I think some people have this image of me riding my llama up the side of this jungley mountain to reach the hovel at the top where the natives in loincloths are waiting to receive the gospel. I feel like I'm in Holladay sometimes here...The church here is exceedingly strong and the members are warm and friendly. The people, in general, are very kind and invite us in out of the cold, but don't want to talk about the gospel. But we are meeting a lot of great families and young people interested.

Thats about all I got. Shout outs to Noah (we got penguins, not flamingos..but it made me laugh), Tiffany (I love you tiff, thanks for being incredible...tell ramrod hi!) , Sierra (bomb.com), the family, and everyone else. Thank you for letters and love and support! The letters will be pretty scarce from down here, but if you write me emails, Ill try to get back as soon as I can! Bund, I love you! Send me the wedding invite!!!!

The work is going forth surely as ever and I couldnt be happier. This is the best place to be in the entire world.

Pictures. The skies here are ENORMOUS and really unique.




 The trees are all bent from all the wind!


ps- oh yeah! My comp Hermana McClellan (who is basically Marianne Carter...the voice, the laugh...the hilariously...everything), told me that Punta Arenas is where they discovered the skeleton of the first Miladon (aka...giant sloth). I need to know if this is true. someone get back to me!
Hna Bourne

Family!
Wow, Elder Scott here in Punta Arenas. AND we have zone conference the week and I get my interview with President. Could I BE more blessed? NO!

Logistics. The houses here are really rich...we have natural gas heating and hot water. Our sector is ginormous and we have to take colectivos everywhere. Dad, look up Torres del Paine. Schedule a little time there...its like 3 hours away from where I am and we wont get to see it until you come.
Love yoU! Sophie, I love you and know you are going to do a great job in singing on your birthday! I can't believe you are going to be a decade old! I love you. James, breathe....but congrats. Love you! I bet Sam is great! Mikey and Ashley...Im so sad I cant be there for the blessing but Im sure it will just be one, big, happy day with everyone that they'll all remember...the more I'm down here, the more I realize how blessed I am to have a big, happy family...keep it that way.

Katie, I'm praying for you. I know you are experiencing great things...remember that yes, you are growing and changing inwardly...and that is exactly what Heavenly Father wants for you...but remember to look outward. There are people who miss their families, there are people that feel excluded...there are people that feel alone and lost out there. Reach out...do things in secret...it's the only way. It's like how Christ said that if we loose ourselves, we'll find ourselves. To solve our problems...we need to be so focused on others that we don't even realize that God is changing and shaping US in the process. You are just fabulous and I got you a pair of sweet earings that you'll love.
Mom, thanks for the email. You are incredible. Keep on keeping on.. It feels like I was at home yesterday. One transfer here is 6 weeks. I have at least 3 transfers (or cambios) which means 18 weeks... I'm here for the dead of winter with 80-100mph winds (not kph)!! I hope I don{t get blown away!
I'm not getting huge or breaking out in leprosy or loosing my teeth like the average chilean...Im taking care of myself...all my clothes still fit. I love you all. We have this year (literally...tomorrow, I only have a year left...boo!) to improve ourselves and change and grow closer. Everyone, study your scriptures every day. pray EVERY DAY. Go to church and serve the people there. Keep doing it. Love you all!
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment