Monday, June 7, 2010

Lumbering away at the bottom of the earth.....


Well family,
the old addage ¨Modest is Hottest¨ was never truer or purer than it is here in Punta Arenas as a missionary.  Like the Antarctic adventurers of old, we do whatever is necessary to stay warm and dry.  There is no style or pride anymore.  I´m sitting here with two pairs of wool tights over thermals with a fleece vest...my companion decided to wear tights over sweatpants today (figure that one out) and we both are secretly swaddling our feet in plastic bags hidden only by our sensible boots. There is nothing left to the imagination at all and I am frequently reminded of Hagrid when I catch a glimpse of our shadows lumbering down the street.  truely, modest IS hottest.
 
Really great, normal, happy, work-filled week.  IT SNOWED! Happiest feeling ever.  Too bad innocent, beautiful snowflakes are turned to devil ice chunks of death when the Punta wind comes along. Alvaro and Laura (the Uruguayans...best people on earth) are getting baptizzled this Saturday and I just can´t believe sometimes the humility and faith that they have to make all of these changes so fast in their lives.  They stopped smoking the day of Palabra de Sabiduria and left drinking cafe and te and started praying and reading and coming to church all the time....They prayed for the first time in front of us the other day (they had been ¨practicing¨ praying together) and it was just a beautiful experience.  Halsy (ps, where have you been?!) always said it was a blessing to kneel down and pray as a missionary and I second that motion.  To recognize that we might as well be bowed down before a Heavenly Father who is right in front of us...as real as anything...and communicate astounds me sometimes. Prayer is something we can always improve.
 
Katie, Preach My Gospel will change your life.  Make sure you read and study chapter 3 and then 4 and 6 and 5 and 1 and 2 probably in that order.  INCREDIBLE.  To really understand the doctirne of Christ is something very powerful and It has been the greatest blessing to understand it a little more and learn more every day.  It´s also a LOT easier to obey commandments and live the gospel when we understand the reason!  You could use Friday to write to me what you are learning (and it would make a cool study journal) and the other day to do service of some kind.  Seriously Katie, I´m still praying for you and you´ll be great!
 
Well family and friends, shoutouts to luz, jess, mikey, mom and dad and katie.  I think the biggest shout out will go to my dad...he wrote a LETTER and I think it might have surpassed my mothers for the first time ever. Lets all congratulate him! Yay dad!!! Love you. Thanks for the letter. :) Liz and Jess I´m glad you had a great experience. Love you both!
Mike and Baron- off my bed!!
James- Love you- write me!!
Until next week!
 
Hna Bourne
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment